Thursday, March 28, 2013

Part time gardner


I am a part-time gardener.  Not too interested in non-edible plants and sometimes successful in cultivating things like tomatoes and broadbeans.  At the moment I have a small tomato plot.  I didn’t think too much about the seasons when I planted this plot and now as winter approaches I realise that  I am not going to pick a lot of fruit as it gets colder.

I don’t know where and when I learned to pinch out unwanted shoots, but I have been doing it for many years.   I have observed that the new shoots that grow out between established ‘branches?’ do not bear fruit and take away nutrients from the fruit already setting.    I have, on the other hand, also thought that the more greenery might also benefit the plant with photosynthesis?  Happy to have someone advise me on that.


Other fruit such as Passionfruit grow exceptionally well in my backyard, but for some reason the fruit is not wonderful.  Thick skins and/or bitter taste.  There are many fixes for these problems on the internet, but I think the answer is to ‘rip ‘em out’ and start again.   Another problem with grafted passionfruit is that the rootstock usually sends out far ranging suckers which pop up in the lawn and garden beds.

Passion vine...and no; the fence isn't pink.

About six months ago I planted a locquat tree.  It was probably six months old when I bought it and whilst I hope to eat fruit from it, I am thinking, at my age, something that bears fruit within a couple of years might have been more practical.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Passionfruit vines need epson salts sprinkled around the base and a little either side of the main root. Water in and do it once a year only for trace ellements to make them sweet. It works very quickly to make the fruit sweeter.Blood and bone works a treat as well if done twice a year. You will have lovely tasty fruit in no time. No need to pull the vine out at all. TLC does the trick.

Bernie said...

Happy Easter to you and your family Kev, xo