Friday, January 11, 2013

The way it was


I was considering trying to finish of a novel my Joan had outlined, but when I read a quote from Stephen Ambrose; a very successful author (Band of Brothers, DDay 6th of June, Eisenhower Biography et al)  I decided I didn’t have the necessary skills that Joan possessed.
Ambrose said..’The number one secret of being a successful writer is to marry an English major.

At 73 I have just about seen it all evolve.  Mobile phones, personal computers, the Internet, large flat screen TVs, microwave ovens etc etc.

This is how it was back in the 50s

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

KEV, YOU TELL EXCELLENT STORIES ABOUT YOUR LIFE AND TRAVELS, RECORD THEM.I GREW UP IN THE 40'S. COOLGARDIE SAFE TO KEEP THINGS COOL, ONE RADIO(VALVEE)NO CAR. WE WALKED EVERYWHERE FOR MILES, A WOOD FIRE TO COOK ON , WOOD FIRE TO KEEP WARM. A CHIP BATH HEATER, BOIL THE COPPER TI WASH THE CLOTHES, NO ELECTRIC FANS, PEN AND INK WELL AT SCHOOL. WE MADE THE INK, NO PHOTO COPIERS NO ELECTRIC TOASTER AND NO TV WE MADE OUR OWN ENTERTAINMENT. LIFE WAS GOOD. WE LOOKED AFTER EVERYONE IN THE STREET.MARG

Bernie said...

I love what Marg just wrote, it was a different time then, more simple yet one would feel safe and secure in that enviorment.
Hope things go well with Martin, things really don't change Kevin but you have to do what you think is right. Big hugs :-)