Friday, October 12, 2012

Taxing the old brain


I went out and bought a breadmaker...now I have to learn how to use it.  Daughter Helen is visiting this morning and we will use two brains to work it out.  I checked out breadmakers in three stores and decided on a Breville ‘Baker’s Oven’.  The first store, Harvey Norman wanted $130., next was Retravision @$136. reduced today to $129.99, but I bought from The Good Guys. @ $95..  Deal!

My old brain is getting a workout lately.  I bought a video camera recently and that  requires a good read of the instruction manual to get the video onto a computer.  I found that it is not Mac compatible and so have set up a PC in the workshop to try and download videos I shoot. The user manual has 56 pages in it.   Years ago I had a Betacam video camera.  Simple.....press a button and the door opens, put in a full-size tape. Close the door and point and shoot.  Open the door; put the recorded tape into a VCR and watch it.

My wife Joan’s cousin, Kingsley, gave me a very fancy HP printer/scanner.  I thought it would be easy to set up, but no, it has eluded me (or my brain) and I cannot get it to work properly.  There again, the handbook has 234 pages of complexity.   It is obviously a very expensive piece of kit and I will be looking for someone who can help me set it up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kev, I admire your attitude to technology you never give up.As you know, I would much rather use a wood fire and make bread by hand. I used to make a lot of bread when the kids were young, but it wasn;t economical as the bread was all eaten as it came out of the oven. Nothing like freshly baked bread, Hope you have success with yours, I'm sure you will. Marg

Bernie said...

Fresh bread sounds delicious. Good Luck......we have similar printer/canner and I love it...Hugs