Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Fathers' Day at Fremantle


Fathers Day was a biggy for me.  Helen and James took me to Fremantle City where we visited the Freo markets, a nice brewery/restaurant and a bit of a Freo pub crawl ending up at Little Creatures Brewery in the fishing boat harbour.  Quite a few drinks, good food and music.  I haven’t been to Fremantle for pleasure in many years even though my house is only 10 kilometres away.    Most enjoyable.

Tomorrow we are driving to Albany.  Dennis is delivering an antique drawing table to an artist friend there and I am collecting 9 computers to bring back to Fremantle.  We are staying in town for three nights and hope the weather calms down so we can do the touristy thing.  There is much to see in historic Albany.  Some pics when we return.

I have been looking at a vintage pocket watch I have.  To restore or not, that is the question.     It is an American Waltham Traveler made in 1890 or thereabouts.  It needs a Bezel and Crystal which in layman’s terms means, watch glass rim and the actual glass.  I have had a quote by an Australian repairer at $490.00 which includes cleaning the movement.  This watch has no family heritage attached to it, in fact I don’t know how it came into our possession.  Perhaps Joan, my late wife, bought it for me and never got around to having it repaired?  I will now never know.

I cannot image myself at a gathering, reaching into a waistcoat pocket, hauling out the gold pocket Waltham exclaiming  ‘Dear me, is it really 4pm?’

1 comment:

Bernie said...

Kevin you sound happy, so glad for you. Love the watch, if it were mine I would fix it and use it in someway if not in a waistcoat. Keep visiting, doing pub crawls and whatever else it takes to be happy.....big hugs:-)