Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Grumpy old bugger!


So Syria's President Assad's Prime Minister and all his family have skipped the country. He says it is because the Assad regime is bad and he wants to distance himself from it. More like he can see the writing on the wall and knows what will happen to him and his family when Assad falls. Same goes for pilots and generals who have deserted. Ex-Prime Minister Hijab and 10 relatives and their families are in a 'Safe Haven and in Safe Hands'.

The West has been supporting, in words at least, the rebels. So what will happen when the rebels eventually bring down the government and it reverts to an anti-western regime of Muslim fundamentalists? Probably like other Arab Spring Middle East countries, Syria will not be so accommodating to Westeners as it has been in the past. The Christians of Syria have been pretty -well left alone by the Assad regime. A sectarian Muslim regime may not be so benign.

I am thinking of having my newspaper delivery stopped. I don't read it thoroughly enough and most of the articles are are of little interest to me. When the comics at the rear of the paper are the most interesting part, I reckon I can get the real news from radio, TV and the internet.

Grumpy old bugger aint I?

3 comments:

Richard said...

Kev: we were in Syria for 10 days late April/early May 2011.
The troubles were just starting to bubble up. Fridays are prayer days in the Arab world so after tens of thousands gather for midday prayers there's quite a few looking for some action afterwards.

Whilst we were there 90 Japanese tour groups cancelled. We got out of Damascus on a Friday as it happened. Spent all afternoon and most of the evening at their International Terminal. Finally at 11.55 pm got on a charter flight to Teheran, which was our next stop anyway.

Might seem strange to view Iran as a safe haven but that is how it felt to us.

Even as an ex-newspaper man agree with u. Hard copy papers not necessary in the 21st century. Read them all daily online as it is. Still get the Melb. Age on Saturdays and Sundays, however. Missus loves the X words and scrambled letter games !!

Anonymous said...

Kev, I bought the West today , as I wanted to read up on the Red Planet Mars. There was a tiny article and small photo of "curiosity'. I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE AUSTRALIAN AS I NOTICED IN THE SHOP THAT IT HAD A SPECIAL ARTICLE ON MARS. OUR PAPER IS FULL OF SPORT, HOLDUPS AND GOSSIP. I WANT TO READ ABOUT SCIENCE, NATURE MEDICAL SCIENCE , PLANTS, LITERATURE, PERHAPS I SHOULD BUY A MAGAZINE INSTEAD OF THE PAPER.IF YOU AREN'T REALLY INTERESTED IN FOOTBALL OR THE PLAYERS FORGET IT.

Bernie said...

I have been thinking about stopping my newspaper as well but it has been a habit for so many years. I find I read the obits quite thoroughly and skim over the news.
I for one hate seeing all those innocent people die in Syria especially the children. Don't know why he is still holding on, it is only a matter of time. I can't understand why Russia and China refuse to interfer and help stop these senseless killings. Take care my friend.....:-)Hugs