Wednesday, July 11, 2012

QWERTY


There is a move to abandon the QWERTY keyboard on phones and computers. The QWERTY layout of the alphabet has always been a bit of a mystery to me. I confess that I have never bothered to find out why the letters were so arranged.

The QWERTY arrangement has been around since 1878 and was designed mainly to stop typewriter 'arms' sticking together when typists were typing too fast or using letters alongside each other on the keyboard. When you take a good look at the QWERTY keyboard, so called for the arrangement of the upper left hand row of letters, one can see that it would appear that some perverse designer has arranged the keys to frustrate two-finger pickers like me. Not so.

This attack on the QWERTY keyboard is aimed at simplifying two-thumbed texting on mobile devices. It won't help me speed up when I get around to texting.
                  The non-QWERTY keyboard designed by a Queenslander

No comments: