Friday, July 27, 2012

Colonoscopy


This morning I drove my brother to Subiaco, a suburb west of Perth city to St John of God hospital. I could have done it with my eyes closed as we drove that route some 50 times when Joan was undergoing chemotherapy there. Brother Graham was going for a colonoscopy and had fasted and drunk the 4,000 litres of PicoPrep to make sure his bowel was cleaned out for the 20 meter flexible camera which was to travel up his rear end. I'm not sure about those figures, but he probably feared they might be accurate. He usually has a large breakfast, so I decided to tell him about my sausage and potato mash fry up....not impressed!

When I was summonsed by the hospital in the afternoon to collect him, I parked in a spot near Joan's oncologist's office and through his window saw him smiling into a computer screen. I had an immediate small meltdown. Here was this pleasant man who tried his best to save my Joan. I wasn't up to going in to his office to thank him and his staff for their efforts. Maybe another time.
A fellow traveller on the cancer road, Gillian who lives in England, lost her husband to cancer. She has urged me to not look for what might or might not have been. Good advice!

Early the same morning I had an urgent phone call from my daughter Helen. Her car had a flat battery, so I raced around to their place and with Helen pushed her car up a steep driveway so that I could manoeuvre my car into close proximity to use my jumper cables. It started and I gave her my cables in case the half hour journey to work was not enough to start the car after work. It was as I thought and she had a colleague help her jump start the car to drive home. It is in my garage at the moment and I have charged the battery and will try and see what the problem is tomorrow. The battery is a sealed type and is just two years old. It may be that a light is on draining the battery and I will go into the garage when it gets dark and see if anything is actually on.

1 comment:

Bernie said...

Good Morning Kev, still giving everyone a helping hand I see, such nice things you do kind sir. Hope all works out well for everyone. What is your weather like just now? We are in the full throws of summer and it is lovely, even enjoy the storms each evening. It is almost like watching fireworks. Have a great day.....:-)Hugs