Friday, March 23, 2012

Larousse Gastronomique

It is over one year since my Joan died and I have been losing my appetite for food and cooking. I seem to cook too much and then freeze the remainders which end up going into the compost bin. Time for a new plan. Supermarkets don't cater for singles like me, the smallest meat package is enough for several people, so I will divide any purchase into serve size portions and again fill the freezer with the rest. Also I could share with Helen and James, but Helen cooks more exotic fare than me.

Joan has at last count 83 cook books including Larousse Gastronomique and folders of collected recipes. Each time I search for a recipe in the recipe library I find it difficult to get what I want out of those 83 books, but when I Google a recipe I will get an immediate and specific recipe. I wouldn't have the heart to sell Joans books but I don't think anything in Larousse would interest me much. So I will leave Helen and Martin to sort that out when I go...along with lots more complex issues. Hey, I'm not going just yet!

Larousse is 'the world authority on food, wine and cooking' which is a bit insular because it doesn't discuss Asian cooking for example. Just in case you thought you would like to purchase Larousse, here is a page from the section on cooking offal.
A bit dreary hey?

3 comments:

Bernie said...

It took me a while to learn to cook for one especially when I would crave a certain course but like you I freeze in serving size containers and all has worked out well, there is always something in the freezer good to eat.
I was going to mention Carole to you last weekend but the words were difficult, I hate cancer and I hate knowing families are changed forever by it. I like how you gave her hope for her husband after she would pass away. She wanted to know he would be okay and you gave her that comfort. (We both know I think that we really learn to exist without the love of our lives) and that's okay.
Have a good weekend....:-)Hugs

Anonymous said...

Looks like tripe to me, LOL. Paul.

Anonymous said...

Looks like tripe to me, LOL. Paul.