Tuesday, March 27, 2012

How not to look a gift horse in the mouth

I get my Mac computer discards from various sources and some of them are a little precious when it comes to the actual donation time. One lot was given with the proviso that they wouldn't be sent overseas. I had to inform that source that whilst I assure people that they will not be sold but distributed to needy folks I could not be bound by any conditions of how and where I distribute them. It is really like donating your body to a University....you don't know what will happen to it and medical students may well play pranks with your bits.

A recent lot was of older Macs, all still work well, but their capabilities are more in the educational games area. I can gift them to young families with a large package of educational software. I would rather folks not give me these older machines as most of my 'clients' want reasonably fast machines to browse the internet (and find reviews of books they were supposed to read at Uni).
Oldies, but goodies.
Just when I think I will stop this project, I get an offer of a new lot of machines, then back to work. I have been doing this for around eleven years and estimate that I have refurbished and distributed free, around 400+ computers to needy folks and a couple of schools overseas.

No comments: