Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A good word for Bigpond

Joan's sister Dorothy recently had a scare with a positive from a breast screen. She was able to have a Lumpectomy which removed the cancer and one lymph gland . A follow-up consultation brought good news and her oncologist is confident that they had been successful. She will be having a week's worth of radiation and be on a daily medication for 5 years.

There are many bad stories about Telstra/Bigpond's help line for computer worries. Over the weekend I had the job of setting up a wireless modem for a friend of my brother. The modem is a BigPond modem about the size of a packet of TicTacs. I was having all sorts of difficulty which was my own fault. I repeatedly typed in her email address which was hand written on a piece of paper. Un-noticed by me was a period/full stop between her first and second names. It must have looked like as bit of fly poo to me and so I hadn't keyed it into any of my attempts at creating the account. Sooooo, I decided to ring Bigpond help. I was talking to a young fellow in the Phillipines and eventually after he made several attempts to activate the account he asked me to take a careful look at the email address again. There is was. He entered that correct address and it was up and running. At that stage I asked him for mail details such as incoming mail server etc so that I could set up Apple Mail for her. He probably correctly assumed I was a complete dummy and told me to sit back and he would remotely set up Mail and anything else I wanted help with. Sounded good to me and I watched as things were moved around on the screen remotely from an office in the Philippines. I do know about several applications to do this, but I have never seen it done. A very pleasant young guy who was worthy of some award.
Thanks Bigpond.

4 comments:

Bernie said...

I have Wi Fi here Kev which makes everything compact and easy as I use the same company for my internet, telephone, and TV. I smiled at the dot problem, sounds like something that would of happened to me.
So glad Joan's sister has good news, hope she can take the 5 year medication, I was unable to take it but it has been several years for me now so I am okay.
Big Hugs.....:-)

Anonymous said...

Kev, Really good news about Dorothy. Hope she can take the medication. Marg

Bernie said...

Kev our friend Carole has entered hospice, I am feeling terrible for her and her family, xo

Anonymous said...

Bernie, That,s sad news about Carole. Our hearts go out to the family, Carole certainly did her best to beat the cancer. Marg