Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pseudo greenie

School officially finishes on Wednesday and Helen is school-less until probably the day before school recommences next year. She is not a permanent employee of the education department of W.A.. There are a few quite inconvenient ways of becoming permanent and I have mentioned them before, so Helen will either get a job at another school, hopefully close to home, or do part time teaching or relief teaching. The relief teaching is the best deal if she can get plenty of work. Relief teachers have no preparation, teacher/parent hassles and no marking or reporting. The pay is slightly better than full time teaching to compensate for the lack of paid holidays.


She is going to take me shopping for appropriate Xmas gifts. I am not good at choosing gifts and Helen is like her mother..artistic and resourceful.


This will be the first Xmas without Joan in 46 years.


I decided to be a part greenie and see if I could save some of the shower water for potplants. That is.... plants in pots rather than pot plants! I placed a large shallow plastic tray in the shower recess and had a relatively quick shower. When I had finished there were about 20 litres of water in the tray. A bit difficult to get it into a bucket and I am unsure how long I will persevere with this little project. Probably time to change the shower head to a water-saving one.

1 comment:

Bernie said...

The holidays can be quite lonely when we loose our loved ones. I am sorry that you and Marg will be going through this. So glad that Helen is close by and I hope Marg has family close by as well.
Water saving shower heads are really good, mine made quite a difference in the amount of water I use, I'm sure you will like it.
Take care my friend, be strong and know there are others who are also feeling the pain this season.
......hugs