Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Philosopher's Zone

As I was driving today I listened to the ABC show The Philosopher's Zone.

I don't claim to be a philosopher, or even take a great interest in philosophy. I recall having to read Emmanuel Kant's 'Fundamental Principles of the Metaphysics of Morals' and after fifteen or twenty pages stopped and tried to recall anything of significance my eyes and mind had passed over....zilch!

The reason I was listening to the program was that the alternative ABC stations were all broadcasting sport.

Anyway, the topic was 'The morality of Robo Wars', which discussed the changes taking place in warfare. In previous conflicts combatants went to war...travelled to the action and engaged the enemy with the very real chance of being killed.

With the advent of Robo Wars, using weapons such as Drones, the pilot drives to work to a bunker in Nevada, does the dirty on tanks, soldiers etc and at 5pm drives home and has dinner with the wife and kids. Something to philosophize about eh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

KEV I THOUGHT WORLD WAR 2 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE WAR TO END ALL WARS, NO ONE COMES OUT A WINNER IN A WAR. JUST A WASTE OF LIVES AND MONEY FOR BOTH SIDES BUT WE CAN'T GIVE IN TO BULLIES AND I THINK SADLY WE WILL ALWAYS HAVE WARS, MARG

Bernie said...

Just read about Iran shooting down an American drone, it is amazing how they fight wars now and I don't mean that in a good way. I don't believe in killing others, especially women and children. Everyone thinks they are right and God is on their side, it is absolute rubbish...:-)Hugs