Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Volkswagen

I have just watched a TV movie ‘Fateless’. It is a Hungarian production of a most horrific event of WW2, the incarceration of European Jews

and the treatment of those who were not immediately consigned to the gas chambers. It is in black and white and to me, most emotional.

In my youth I owned a Volkswagen car. It worked well..much like the gas chambers of Auschwitz. Later when I read more about the WW2 I made a conscious decision not to buy a German product. We have been to Germany and in the cities we visited there was always a Holocaust Museum….but I am still not sure that the older generation still don’t think the Juden brought it on themselves.

So ist es auf die welt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

KEV: like you and your late wife we too have visited Holocaust sites.

One which will never leave the memory is the one outside Munich: Dachau. It's impossible for the then citizens of Munich NOT to have seen the daily clouds of black smoke drifting upwards from chimneys as the burning bodies were gradually reduced to ashes.

On the other side of the world, my uncle who was interned in the Changi prison camp in Singapore would never, ever buy a Japanese product --- most especially a car!!

Richard & Judyth Jones

Kev said...

Thank you for your comment. I am unsure if my youthful decision to not buy a wonderful BMW is correct, however I did make that decision and now have to stick by it. I am in the market for a new car and the internationalisation of automakers makes it difficult to decide what vehicle I should buy. The Skoda looks great, but it is owned by Volkswagen.

Should I buy one and just say I am buying a Czech vehicle rather than a VW?