Sunday, September 18, 2011

Phnom Penh

A couple of weeks ago I gave a Mac laptop to a young Cambodian woman who was being looked after by a welfare agency. She was in secure housing as she had suffered badly from beatings by her husband. Since then she has been moved to another unit. She wanted to use the laptop to Skype her mother in Phnom Penh. I gave her a few quick lessons on the Mac OS and she was delighted that she would soon be talking to mum.

Unfortunately she purchased a USB modem which needed a later version of the Mac OS which that computer will not run. Also she purchased a webcam which has only a PC driver. I have loaded the higher OS onto another Mac, but have decided to give her Joan's PC laptop as her support person is a PC guy and he can do the hard yards setting it all up. Joan had that PC laptop to run one of her embroidery machines, but switched to a Mac laptop using an emulation program to run PC programs named Parallels.

Things like this have suddenly put me under a bit of pressure I don't need at this stage. Joan's estate probate is still dragging out and I have no idea when it will be settled and to be perfectly honest I don't quite understand how it all works. One thing I am certain of, is that If I had gone first, things would be well and truly under control with Joan at the helm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kev, Don't sell yourself short. You are doing very well in my opinion. I don't understand anything you wrote about the PC or OM . My computer was out of use all Sat, and this morning I rang amnet and the guy has probably gone home with a bad headache by now ,,, but the computer is working now, Before I forget have you any small gooseberry plantsm Nine died , Marg

Bernie said...

Sounds like you are missing your Joan very much Kev, she would be so pleased to know her computer is helping someone who needs a bit of kindness in her life. Chin up dear friend, life is not the same I know but by helping others you will help yourself. Sending big hugs from Canada....:-)