Sunday, August 7, 2011

Ferals

Low-lifes are every where! Generally if one buys into a more expensive area, one expects to have reasonable neighbors, but sometimes the rules just don’t apply.

Helen and James bought their house in the same suburb as us and expected that they would have the same sort of neighbors as we have. As it turns out there is a family of ferals two doors up who are doing their best to make it uncomfortable to live there.

James has confronted them and talked to the parents who have no control over their kids and suffer verbal abuse from them. The parents admit that the previous owners of Helen and James’ house almost certainly sold because of their sons’ intimidation. A line has been drawn and things could get worse. Not good!

Similarly, the unit we own which houses our son Martin, has neighbors from hell also. His unit is in a block of about thirty units in a suburb known for its ferals. I would like to sell it when Martin leaves for Melbourne in a couple of weeks, but the housing market has crashed and I would lose too much cash. Never-the-less once I have refurbished it I will get a valuation. I don’t like being a landlord with all the attendant problems of rough tenants.

2 comments:

Bernie said...

It's sad Kev, but it is the same here as well as where my sister lives in Scotland. I often wonder why many (not all) of the younger generation does not show respect to people or property, it is frightening really. I understand how you would have to be careful who you would rent too, something I don't think I would enjoy..... housing prices are low and I think it is a universal problem. So many seniors have a lot of their retirement equity in their homes something else I find scary. Oh well, it is what it is and it will work itself out, always does. Have a great week...:-)Hugs

Anonymous said...

Kev, I feel sorry for Helen and James, hope things work out well for them. I've been very lucky with my neighbours. They have been so helpful. Having money doesn't always mean that the children are going to be well behaved, I have been told that Leeming and Winthrop have their fair share of troubled teenagers. There was a huge dispute over at my shopping centre this morning, which left me quite shaken. Troubled times we live in.Just think, these are the kids who will be caring for us in our old age.....God help us, Marg