Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Chinese stove made in Turkey

Helen and James are in San Francisco for her cousin Katherine’s wedding to Rick. It is going to be a big affair over several days including a harbour cruise, a baseball game (all the guests have been told which team to barrack for) and of course the wedding.

On Monday Helen went to work and James was to go to work on Tuesday. After work I was to take them to Perth airport for their flight to Brisbane and SF. Monday evening around 8.30pm I had a flustered call from Helen telling me that they had miscalculated and it was actually Monday night they were to depart. I had had a couple of beers so couldn’t drive. They had to taxi it to the airport. James had bought a new suit and the alterations were to be completed Tuesday morning. They flew without that one.

Tuesday, I found instructions on taking Ruby, their dog, to a boarding kennel, cancelling a vet appointment and ringing the people where the suit was being altered.

I received a call from Helen saying that they had safely arrived in Brisbane. They should be now looking for a suit rental place in SF.

Work on our unit at Orelia is going reasonably well. I have decided to sell and hope to come out of the deal with a loss of around $30k. Hopefully I can claim this loss against my income tax, but the waters around this situation are quite muddy. Time will tell.

At the unit I have an electrician coming along on Friday to connect the new stand-alone stove for $95. There are three wires to tightens crews down on, but as I am selling the unit I don’t want to electrocute a new buyer by doing a amateur wiring job myself.
I notice that the stove, although a Chinese brand, is made in Turkey. Are wages in Turkey lower than China?

Local laws demand that smoke alarms be hard wired, unless, as in the case of this unit, there is no ceiling space. In this case an alarm with a 10 year Lithium battery can be fitted. A little bit expensive, but no where near the cost of an electrician to visit.

4 comments:

Bernie said...

Oh my gosh Helen must of been so very rushed.....not a good way to start a trip. Hope all will work out well for them.
I really enjoyed the song "Bridal Train", hadn't heard it before so thanks for sharing.
Take care.....:-)Hugs

Anonymous said...

I have a couple of HP inkjet printers and am wondering if you can use them for your giveaway computers? Deskjet 948c and 656c

Veronica Treen

Kev said...

Hi Veronica.

If the printers have a USB connection and also have cartridges (even if they are not full) I can certainly use them.

My home phone No. is 94183869

regards

Kevin

Anonymous said...

I'll give you a call next week if thats convenient for you. I'm sure they'll be usefull as we've only recently stopped using them and may even have some spare cartridges. Don't like to see them in landfill if someone can use them