Sunday, June 26, 2011

Waltham Traveller

The garage sale is almost finished with lots of fabric etc still left over. We have decided to donate it to a couple of groups who make stuffed toys for kids in impoverished lands. Joan would approve! Already this afternoon, one group of women took a lot of fabric to make clothes for women and children who have had to make a quick getaway to a refuge from violent partners

When we were searching through cupboards etc to collect together all Joan’s stash, I found my grandfather’s gold pocket watch. It is an American Waltham watch made in 1899. It is a Traveller model which is not their top of the line, however it is rather nice and I was looking at having a new face glass fitted and a clean and lubricate. The first rough estimate for a clean was $350 - $400.
I can only guess what a new glass will cost as I believe it has to be hand made.

Time for a rethink as I am not one to ponce about pulling a gold pocket watch out of my waistcoat pocket attached to a fob chain to check the time at the supermarket.

Alternatively I could sell it as is?

2 comments:

Bernie said...

I wouldn't be able to sell this, you really should pass it on so it can stay in the family, Repairing watches are expensive I know, I just paid over $400 to have my Rolex cleaned. Really dumb as I have so many watches but this one is a keeper to be passed on in the family,(they also replaced a spring)
Love that others are going to benefit from Joan's fabric. Knowing it is going to help those in need of help is a wonderful thing.....I am sure she would be so pleased with all you have done Kevin.....:-)Hugs

Anonymous said...

Kev Great effort with good results for cancer research, I have my mother's gold Rolex watch complete with the original box from a jewellers's in Kalgoorlie. I paid $90 about 4 years ago to get it working again, I was bought when they got married in 1928, It's very pretty but stops going if I wear it. But a family keepsake, Kev that film "sisters in War" I cried through most of it , so sad knowing that it was all true, what our nurses and young soldiers went though , just to save us and our country, ....So much agony pain ,loss of young lives and it is still happening in different part of the world, Have we ever had a time when there wasn't a battle going on in some country in the world,? Must have brought back many memories of being there with Joan and the children, Marg