Thursday, June 16, 2011

A couple of facts

Today I learned a couple of things. Firstly one should not turn on the sink tap when there is a spoon in the sink.

Secondly, a fact that is not well publicised about photovoltaic roof panels. It seems that whilst our unit can produce around 1200 watts in bright winter sun, I should not expect that the Australian bright summer days will produce the same amount. The reason being that every increase in degree (Centigrade or even Fahrenheit....you remember F don’t you?) heat of the solar panels results in a proportionate reduction of power production. So when the sun is bright and the panels are relatively cool the highest yield occurs. So there! I confess that I only heard this fact this morning when talking to a tech. who was finishing off the installation of Helen and James’ system. Of course solar hot water systems work in the reverse....summer is far better for hot water production.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kev, I don,t get it. Why shouldn,t you turn on the tap if there is a spoon in the sink?Still , I thought that fancy light was a coffee maker.I have spoken to 3 old friends this morning and they all agree that life has become to hard, Why can't we just have an on off switch on all our utensils? I have spare cords for phones blankets radios, dvd players Tape players, the list is endless and I don't which goes with what,, I really was better off when I cooked on a wood stove did the washing in a wood fired copper'washed the dishes by hand. Oh that's right 'I still do after 49 years and i don.t mind, I chopped the wood for these fires, That was before the timber went into wood chip,....Marg