Tuesday, April 12, 2011

An in-service course

Tonight I watched a program on ABC (au) about a family which eventually had to commit their wife and mother into full time care. It was about Alzheimer's Disease, but essentially about a family breakup.

I am still hurting badly about the death of my wife, but I am grateful that she did not suffer the indignity of dementia.

I would like to see some statistics about dementia sufferers.....are more intelligent people less prone to dementia?

Joan was fully aware of her situation and was at no time delusional...perhaps hopeful beyond reason, but not seeking out help from a mythical God.

I miss her terribly.

Today I ran a short in-service course for teachers at a special needs school for staff who are unfamiliar with Mac computers. It went very well and all of the participants had fun with the operating system and the nice things that come with Mac. I had many thankyous for the short session. I didn’t get paid for this PD. The school is having problems with the W.A Education Dept. internet server as they are decidedly Mac unfriendly. It will get better as Mac is having a rebirth in W.A. schools.

An IT boss at the senior high school I taught at for many years, wouldn’t let a Mac computer on the school network and has just purchased a Mac laptop. Say no more!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kev' I wached that program on the 3 families that had to go through the agony of putting their loved ones in to care. had always said that he would rather put up wit the pain od cancer than end up with dementia. it brought back memories of my mum and dad and they are not happy memories. dad was in that home for 5 years , the last 4 as a vegetable not knowing who we were , Just sleeping day and night.I believe3 when your mind goes and there is no quality of life at all you should be able to die with the little dignity you have left.we use drugs to prolong life why cant they be used to end it?I cried so much last night that this morning I,m full of a cold or hay fever.L know what you are going through Kev, hopefully with time it will get easier. It would want to..It is good to knw that you are still out there helping people, You are your father,s son.. marg