Sunday, March 20, 2011

Telemarketing scams

I am still a little lost. I have plenty of things to do and I can keep myself busy, but there are those times when I need to talk with Joan.

Watching television I see things which connect us.... a McDonalds advert about the ‘New Angus Beef Burger’ reminds me of the time we tried one. etc etc.

I am not going to get so lonely that I will seek another partner. I am past that. I have no interest in cohabitation and I should tell you here that I had a radical prostatectomy some eleven years ago and cannot, and do not want to, become intimate with anyone else. So there! I had enough hugs at the funeral to last the rest of my life.

Things will get better...I know several people who live by themselves and manage quite well.

Just lately I have been plagued by phone calls from, I suspect India, suggesting that my ‘Microsoft computer’ has a virus problem.

As it happens I don’t use a ‘Microsoft comuputer’...in fact Microsoft don’t make computers. I; I previously would have said ‘we’, use Apple computers and when I tell the caller that I don’t want to buy what they are selling they hang up. I have had nuisance calls from them ever since...calls on our landline and VOiP phone with hangups when I pick up.

They will get tired of it.

I can understand how people, called at dinner time, get abusive and give the caller a serve.

5 comments:

Bernie said...

Forgive me for smiling Kev, but your post is so honest. You are right, living alone is not so bad once one adjust to it. I have been widowed several years after almost 28 years of being happily married.....not another man on earth for me.
Keep your chin up, you will always miss Joan and it takes a while to adjust to your new normal. Having your children and friends will help, well they helped me and life is good. Blogging and being involved in the cancer community have become part of my life. It helps when we help others.
Sorry about the scam going around, in Canada we have a do not call list and that stops all of those foolish calls.
Be well my friend.....:-)Hugs

Anonymous said...

Kev' we.ve got the message and Joy and i won,t give you any more hugs but you have dashed my hopes of getting married again,,,,,.Kev you will have very black days like the rest of us but you have the strength to get through them. I still can.t believe that Had won.t ever come home but he won.t have to put up with the vomiting and terrible pain of cancer they won;t have to suffer any more and we both have such great memories to get us through this blackness. You don,t have to do thos on your own. I have on a lighter note masses of messages about winning lots of money and every day messages from people wanting to employ me, send all details, very annoying. i don.t get annoying phone calls because my phone is always engaged asyou know, You are doing well Kev Marg

Kev said...

Bernie, we also have the do not call list, but I doubt these overseas calls can be blocked.

Anonymous said...

I once told an Indian call centre opertor I was sorry to hear on the evening news that Pakistan had dropped an atomic bomb on central India. That distracted him.

Finella said...

I hate telemarketing scams because it makes my job even more difficult. I work in telemarketing in Milton Keynes and I really take some flack off the people I ring up. I understand that it's hard to trust people over the phone and that there are quite a few scams going around but there's no need to be rude to the ones who are genuinely trying to get your custom. I work really hard and face constant rejection some days and I'd just like for people to be a bit more polite if they're not interested. In the current climate, I can't afford to leave this job and at the end of the day my children still need to be fed.