Thursday, March 24, 2011

A bank statement

Up until our marriage in 1966, I managed my own finances. It wasn’t too complicated back then...just keep the cheque butts up to date and don’t go over your balance. After we got married, Joan took that task on-board and I had little to do with the finances until she left us on February 25th this year. Steep learning curve!

A couple of days ago I received a bank statement and found a rather large transfer of funds into one of Joan’s credit card accounts. I puzzled over what that amount of money was used for. She did purchase another overlocker sometime recently, but I thought it was mid 2010. It worried me so I went to the bank where the money was deposited and asked for their help in tracing it. After a bit of computer work the man said...’Does The Red Herring mean anything to you?’

It was for the cost of Helen and James’ small wedding breakfast at the riverside restaurant, The Red Herring! Mentioning it to other people, it seems that it is quite common to forget such a transfer or payment and panic; at least with my friends. We are now old!

I am off to the Public Trustee next Monday and I hope I have all the documents needed to allow them to process Joan’s Will and transfer shares and her car over to me. I will have to sell one of the cars at least and this is where one loses lots of money. Sad, but it has to be done.

Our son Martin has been given a $2,000 grant by CES to go on a 7 week course for construction scaffolding. I hope he completes it. He is intelligent and should do well. The qualification and several more safety courses etc may get him into the mining industry up North with its high salaries. It may be a turning point in his life. We hope! I’ve included Joan in that wish.

1 comment:

Bernie said...

Good Luck to Martin, hope he does well. You will soon how to balance the budget again.....just another learning curve Kev, you are a smart man......you will work it out...:-)Hugs