Monday, February 21, 2011

Last hours

We had two call outs last night and I thought I was losing my Joan at around 3am. she became very agitated and shaking uncontrollably and although without a temperature was clammy and sweating. When she asked to sit up, her eyes appeared to be glazed over and she was itchy all over....probably retention of bilirubin. The Silver chain nurse arrived about 45 minutes after my call and then the read-through of previous treatments and questioning. Joan didn’t have pain or nausea and so all she could tell the nurse was that she felt dreadful.

After a few calls back to base Joan was asked whether she would rather be home or back in hospital. One possibility is that there is an infection. I believe her time is very near and hospital in a shared room would be pure misery at this stage. She couldn’t make the decision, so a Silver Chain associate doctor will visit sometime today.

Now, at 8.55am, she is still sleeping. We have both had a harrowing night. I have had little sleep over the last two days.

Update: This morning’s Silver Chain nurses are two who have been here before. They have told me that today is the day. All the signs are indicating so. At the moment Joan is sedated and the family are here with her.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

God bless her and may he give you extra strength

Anonymous said...

my thoughts and love go out to Joan Kev and the family at this sad time. joan has been so brave . hope she is soon free of pain and sickness. give joan a hug from me. love Margde

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to read that Joan's time is almost up Kevin. You've both shown extrardinary courage. I'm sure you have many loving friends who share your anguish. Please take care of yourself in the coming few days and don't drive. Kind wishes from Jill and myself. Paul.

Anonymous said...

So many people now are holding you both in their thoughts and prayers. Don't be afraid.

Carole said...

Kev,

Sending my love and thoughts across the miles to yourself and Joan.
I hope that she is comfortable and remains pain free.

You both remain in my thoughts.

With love xxxxx

Bernie said...

This is all happening so fast, I am keeping you both in my heart and prayers......:-( Hugs

Anonymous said...

I have tears in my keyboard Kevin. Dear Joan... I am thinking of you all. Lisa

applende said...

Kevin if you have 2 messages forgive my ineptitude but we are thinking of you - we do what we do for those that we love because they would do the same for us and they would also expect us to take care of ourselves after all you have been through together. I hope she is comfortable and aware of the love surrounding her.
Jim and Marilyn

Jenny said...

I am very glad for Joan that she is able to be home with people who love her and that you really are able to say goodbye. Thinking of you, love and hugs to you both.

margaret said...

Dear Kevin
I am so said for your situation and for Joan's. She will live forever as a symbol of fortitude in my mind alongside my image of her outstanding devotion to communicating her enthusiasm for textiles. Love to you both

Anonymous said...

Dear Kevin

My thoughts are with you and Joan - Joan has showed great courage, and her dignity in terrrible circumstances has been and still is an inspiration to us all.

Margery Goodall