Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Dietitian

My Joan is still in hospital. X Rays showed no bowel blockage, so a dietitian has been planning meals which will supposedly beat the constipation. Good plan, but Joan still has not regained any of her appetite even though she is now about eight weeks out of chemotherapy. If anything, she is finding it more difficult to eat food she was capable of eating last week.

Whilst I was with her yesterday a nurse did a calorie count and surprisingly it added up to 850 for the day.

With all this happening we were also threatened with a legal writ demanding a payment of $18,000+ for vehicle damage in a car accident. Both parties were fully insured and that amount should have been paid out but wasn’t. I think (hope) it has been resolved and shall explain at length at a later date.
The stress of caring for and worrying about my Joan is getting to me and I am forgetting things. I ordered a rare book about PNG through the state library but haven’t had the time to sit down and read it. It has to be returned tomorrow. I need to make check lists before I leave the house. A couple of days ago I somehow lost Joan’s wallet with all her cards and personal details. Yesterday was card cancelling day.

I want Joan back home but also want her to regain some strength so she is able to at least walk around with her walker.

3 comments:

Bernie said...

Oh Kevin you do sound stressed. I realize you do have a lot of pressure on you but please just take deep breaths, stay calm and spend time with your lovely wife. It is hard to focus on everything else when Joan is so ill. Let everything else go Kevin, it is important that you and Joan are together supporting each other.
Please give her my best and tell her she is in my heart and prayers.
All those other things can wait and will fall into place at the right time.....:-)Hugs

Anonymous said...

Hello Kevin, I don't know you but I enjoyed meeting Joan at Contemporary Quilt groups last year and getting to know her a bit. Just the other day I heard that Joan had given up the chemo. It's been good to read your blogs just now. Please give my fond regards to Joan. I'll send a lovely photo to Joan's email address of 'golden shower' (Cassia fistula) taken by my sister in NSW. I hope it may bring a smile. Thinking of you all, Penny Lee

Whidbey Woman said...

Hi. I am a follower of Joan's blog. I am so sorry that you both are going through all this. Cancer really sucks. My husband has advanced Colon Cancer. We have seen our share of hard times, too. Thankfully, he's having a good spell. Kev, it's not easy being a caregiver but I know you are doing the best you can. Let others step in and help so you can take a break. Its much needed and well deserved! I am keeping you and your loved ones in my prayers.