Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cytotoxic

Joan is still in hospital....maybe Friday she can come home. The large warning label has been removed from her wall chart. It said 'Cytotoxic Precautions' because it was still under one week since her last infusion of Irinotecan. This stuff is so toxic that nurses and other staff have to be warned about possible contamination. They didn't caution me about getting poisoned over the last week!

Since her ‘fall’ (young people fall over/down, but oldies ‘have a fall’) she has been mostly in bed. Yesterday she had a visit from a dietitian who gave us some advice we already knew. She told us to ignore all the healthy diet stuff at this stage and tuck into the food which is going to give plenty of carbs and protein. Sugar laden soft drinks are now the go.

Joan’s taste has changed considerably. For most of our 45 years together we have not eaten sweets on a regular basis. Now Joan can eat sweet things and has trouble with the smell and taste of savoury foods. While she is in hospital I am cooking stuff that usually makes her gag. Last night I cooked a curry and have leftovers for a few days.

A couple of years ago I set up a Mac for a friend’s disabled son. It seems that it has died and I will give him a newer, faster machine. I will test his Hard Drive in one of the Macs I have here and if it is OK, drop it into the newer machine to save all the settings and data from the dead machine. Simple job. I don’t like going through the setup process of a new machine each time.

1 comment:

Bernie said...

Thinking of Joan and hope she will be home soon. We all feel better at home and she has had such a rough time of it lately. Keeping her in my prayers....:-)Hugs