Saturday, October 16, 2010

Bibra Lake starting to dry up


Bibra Lake near our house is starting to dry up as we have not had enough rain to completely fill it. This happens every year and most people think it is due to climate change. I also could not remember it drying up every year when I was a ‘young-un’.


Bibra Lake has in fact been drying up for many years. One of the first European settlers was Benedict Von Bibra, a carpenter who ‘selected’ 320 acres acres of fertile land fringing the lake in 1843. He had selected his land near a large depression which he figured would fill with water when the winter rains came. The aborigines called the lake Walliabup and I guess they didn’t jump for joy when their land was ‘selected’ by whitey. The Lake was commonly called Bibra’s Lake and later gazetted as Bibra Lake.


Around 1897 Bibra Lake hosted the largest community of Chinese market gardeners in Western Australia.


So there, no need to panic about the local effects of global warming just yet.



The results of a bank of tests I had were mostly good, but the Ultrasound scan had an unknown mark on either my liver or part of the bowel which was overlapping the liver. The report suggested that I needed a CT Scan to determine exactly what it was. My GP (he isn’t exclusively my GP) gave me a casual ‘don’t worry, we will talk about it in another couple of weeks’. ‘It is probably just some wind’. I hope so, but I can’t see how waiting a couple of weeks and talking about it is going to determine what it is/was?

I think I will go for the CT or another ultrasound to see if was wind and has passed. My GP said that looking at an ultrasound was a bit like reading tea leaves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can an ultrasound scan see 'wind'? Talking about it in a couple of weeks seems a strange strategy. Maybe the GP is a clairvoyant? Paul.

Anonymous said...

I hope the scan proves to be ok, on wednesday at 2pm Joy, Carol, And Dennis, Wendy and Ralph, Are coming over for a get together, if you and Joan are well enough feel free to join. Love to see you both.
Marg.