Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A setback

Yesterday was pretty horrible. Joan was home feeling much better and all looked good. She had some difficulty getting up from the toilet and although we know it is because of weakness due to not being able to eat over the last month, we decided to go and buy a commode to sit higher.

After purchasing the commode, Joan decided to use the stairs outside the shop instead of the ramp. She fell down five steps and I couldn't get her up by myself. A couple of good Samaritans helped and after they left she fell again near the car. Again with the help of a couple of beefy GSs I was able to get her into the car. At home, completely exhausted, she rested in a recliner chair. Not good! She couldn't get out of the chair and when I attempted to stand her up she slowly fell down to the floor. Once again the dead weight was too much for me and our neighbors were not yet home from work. I rang brother Graham and he drove the 10k down here to help us. Success due to Graham's athleticism. Today Joan has a very smart wheeled walker, a commode and a shower chair. We hope that a few days of good food will see an improvement and we won't need those aids for some time.

2 comments:

Bernie said...

You must of been frightened Kev when Joan fell. I read her blog, she must be terribly weak but I am sure since she is now able to eat and drink with a bit of practice she may be able to get around much better. Be strong and know that I am keeping Joan in my prayers and heart........:-) Hugs

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind thoughts Bernie.

She is much better today and we believe that the extra nutrition she is taking in will have her back to 'normal' within a few days. Already I can see much improvement.

Kev