Friday, September 17, 2010

A non-cancer post

Some other happenings besides the depressing stuff.

A couple of days ago I noticed a very young Raven on the roadway near our house. Yesterday I saw it down on the hot bitumen and decided that I should see if I could save it. This is a time when life seems pretty important.

It was still breathing so I carried it home and forced some water down its beak. After a few minutes it got a bit brighter and opened its eyes. It, or is it he/she? was too weak to stand so I gave it a little beef broth and put it in a cardboard carton, taping the lid slightly open and putting that end over the outdoor table edge to foil any attempt by our moggie to get at it. I watched through a window and sure enough PC Lock had her arm through the small opening trying to hook the poor crow. I had to shift the box into my shed. Today I gave it some more sustenance...like Joan's re hydration, and it was standing by itself and looking around, so I decided to take it to an animal rescue place near our house. A volunteer worker cleaning out a pen told me that he wouldn't be bothered with a 'bloody Crow', but the boss of the place took it off my hands.
Previously I would have euthanased it (cracked it on the head), but just lately I have come to at least admire their resourcefulness when collecting food and decided that it should have a chance. Birds are very cruel when one of theirs gets sick and usually kill it off. If this babe does survive he/she may well be ostracised and killed in the wild.

Driving home from the hospital I was stationary at a major intersection waiting for an ambulance to get through. Everyone except a young blonde lady saw what was happening and she cruised through in a large BMW forcing the ambulance to screech to a stop. He blew his horn and she instinctively blew her own horn and gave the ambos and extended digit high in the air for all the assembled drivers to see. As she passed me, her hand and finger were still extended but she had the bright red face of embarrassment. I reckon she is still cringing about her little act.

No comments: